Saturday, June 10, 2006

Civil 3D Styles

This article on Cadalyst's Website by Bill Frederick was very informative.
http://aec.cadalyst.com/aec/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=324287

It gives a good insight to the undertaking that will have to be done with every office. The first line poses a question, "Why are so many Autodesk users terrified to make the jump to Autodesk Civil 3D?" I will have to agree that Styles are a BIG deal. Every object has a style associated to it. If you want to change the appearance of an object slightly you have to create yet another style. I think if you don't have someone like a CAD or IT Manager tasked to manage these it can get out of control quickly.

One of the things that I'm a bit worried about is that Styles are stored inside the dwg. file. How do I safeguard my styles if I have to send out my dwg files? I know that I'm going to be spending a great deal of time to establish styles based on my company's standard.

I haven't had the opportunity to work with Styles as of yet but this task will be on my plate soon.

No comments: